Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Package Store

I know this topic has been discussed numerous amounts of time but it still annoys me. If you have ever been to my house you know that I live not too far from the well known "Bankhead". I am in no way afraid of my people, embarrassed of my people or above my people. So frequently I roll through their streets every now and then even if its only to take a shortcut into the city and avoid traffic. But don't get me wrong I aint trying to roll through these parts at extreme hours of the night. But anyway, my question is why is there a liquor store on every corner in the hood. I know the answer but it still burns me up. Why are they always owned by Asians? Whether it be Indians or Chinese/Vietnamese. Hell, why are they not afraid of us like folks from America? Well this one liquor store in Bankhead is so ridiculous. It has a 24 hour security quard and guess what people?....shopping carts! Yes these folks got buggies for you to push around and help kill yourself with alcohol. What's even funnier is that almost everyone in there is pushing one and filling up their buggy especially on the weekend. The parking lot is so full that the security guard often comes out and assists people with getting in and out of parking spaces. You would have to see this mess to believe it!

And no I aint in there with no buggy. I don't even drink...well an occasional spirit every now and then.

2 comments:

Bridgette's Odyssey said...

Girl, you know you're country when you call it the package store. I said that to Dwayne once and he was very confused. I wanted to live in the hood but Dwayne vetoed it. I feel more comfortable there, unless it's deep in the hood where I might get killed or something. Now that I have kids, maybe we're better off here. I've often wondered why the "chinese" people aren't afraid. But then, they aren't scared to shoot someone either. Poor people get drunk to forget their problems for a minute. Sorry for rambling.

Anonymous said...

The Package Store? So glad Bridgette explained that one. You'll have to take me by that landmark next time I visit. ;)