Monday, October 27, 2008

Double Standard

I am my parents only daughter and I have two brothers. In my mothers eyes girls should be raised differently than boys which is what she attempted to do with me. She feels that girls should not do or go to the same places that boys go to and that girls should not be allowed all the same activities that boys are allowed (i.e. parties as teenagers, dating etc). My dad was the complete opposite. He believed that there was not much difference in gender except your body parts. I had to cut grass, wash cars, wash windows and anything else that most people would call a "man's job." It was interesting that within our house there were two different philosophies and how they both resulted in the three kids doing exactly the opposite of what my mother thought would happen. Both my brothers had children in high school; the oldest became a father at 17 and the youngest became a father at 16, I know terrible huh. I on the other hand had my first child as a married woman at the age of 30. Although I did not have any children at a young age like my brothers it wasn't because of my mother's thinking that I should wash all the dishes and clean the house it was because I was smarter than them.

So I was sitting around this Saturday night talking with my girlfriends about the differences in men and women. Fortunately or unfortunately we were joined by one of their husbands on this conversation. We were talking about why a married man feels the need to be in a club, bar, social gathering or anything else that does not include his wife on a Friday or Saturday night. They call it "boys night out" but its really their weekend thang. Is it really okay for a married man to come home at 4 or 5am? My answer is no. But of course some men feel it is their right after working all week long that they should be able to shower the world with their overwhelming testerone driven egoes. What is so exciting about hanging out with a bunch of dudes looking at a$$ all night long? You can't touch or taste it so why waste so much time looking at it? Then when your done hanging out you want to come home and wake a sister up for some nookie? But you don't understand why she is not even trying to hear it especially since while you were gone the baby woke up twice and the kids are early risers at 7am ready for breakfast. Are you going to get up and make breakfast? No because you just got home from breakfast at the Waffle House.

I guess this is why someone wrote a book call Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. This is so very true. Most women I know don't have any interest in being in any of these places and are definitely not trying to hang out all night until the crack of dawn. I would fall asleep in the club if I had to stay until 4am. My thoughts are always on the next day, sleep and my family. Don't get me wrong women love to look at a$$ too they just don't need it to justify that they are still an individual and not just a wife and mother. Contrary to what my mother attempted to believe; men and women are the same. We both have sexual urges and desires no matter what. We are sexual beings and that wont change, its the way you use your sexuality that makes you who you are. When you use your sexuality to enhance, pleasure and deliver to your spouse you are not disgracing God. When you use your sexuality to entice the world you are disgracing God.

Oh and Paul didn't hang out in the club all weekend long he was at home watching the kids while I was fussing with somebody elses husband. I just thought I would get some feedback on the conversation, well debate we had with this husband. Believe me he truly felt he was justified in having frequent boys night out. Don't get me wrong I am not that kind of wife who is like "you can't go" but I do feel it is a time and place for everything. What I try to do in life is ask myself "if God shows up right now would he be happy with who I am and where I am at this moment."

So why the double standards?

3 comments:

Bridgette's Odyssey said...

I don't think married men should be in the club. Dwayne doesn't think a Christian man should be in the club. So, we have no problems there.

I hate double standards, generally speaking. But, we'll see how this pans out as our children grow up.

Dance411 said...

From the husband in question, "In my defense women were made different from men for plenty of reasons not just in the physical, but in the mental,and in the social and I am not a sexist I just come from society where everyone needs to stay in their lane".

Girl I know my hubby is crazy! It makes for a good debate though! huh! That's why I let him to go momnlaw's with marley! I just gotta represent God in my manners and pray for him!!

bklynq said...

Are you talking about a hip hop club or butt naked? I don't believe married men should be in a butt naked club. I don't mind my husband going out with the guys after work on a Friday for a drink. We discussed those issues when we were dating so I don't expect him to change now that we are married. The issue will probably come up when our first child arrives and the guys want to go out. I hope that he would put his family first. I do know that there is a double standard, whether we like it or not.