Monday, September 8, 2008

Re-creation

So already my wonderful friend B.G. has blasted me for not giving she and many of my friends from Houston the opportunity to call me Tera. The reason is re-creation. I started going by my real name at age 23 when I started nursing school. I had always gone by Tera even when I started undergraduate at Paine College. Tera seemed more black (yes ethnic) to me so it was the name that I felt most comfortable being called but as I got older I felt like I needed to grow up and let the "fight the power" attitude go or at least calm it down a little. I am not sure why I allowed myself to have two different idenitities but I really did. With school, white america, teachers, classmates etc I felt like I was Latanya but with my family and black friends I felt like Tera. But my parents have always called me Tera and it felt more personal which is why I then only allowed my friends to call me that and not anyone else.

Hopefully this won't cause a big debate on whether I am racist or not because I am not. I grew up in a predominantly white small town in South GA and went to school with mostly white kids. However, I do understand that racism existed and still does exist. I remember there were days when we couldn't go outside because there was a Klu Klux Klan parade in downtown Ludowici (the town my mom was raised in). Yes people this was in the late 70's. Although these acts do not occur anymore the mental act of racism still exist and I see it all the time.

So in closing I wanted to grow up, evolve and get in touch with my professional side which is why I started introducing myself as Latanya to ALL people regardless of color or sex. But truly I am the same person whether you call me Tera or Latanya.

I guess the adjective to describe me would be "spicy." I am both nice and nicety all at the same time if you know what I mean! Basically Tera or Latanya will get with yo A$$ if she has too!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't even believe you beat me to blogging! WOW! I'm so proud of you!

I can't wait to read more! PS! I thought it was pretty funny to see Trey walking around in a tshirt eating chips! HA!!!!!

Del said...

I love it... You've always kept it real and that's why I have so much respect for you Latanya-Tera Alphonse. This is none other than ya bwoy Windel, trying my very best to get by in this Wh*** mans world.

I poke my head in to say hello now and then to see how the new crack (blogging) is taking affect on a sistah.

Tell Paul I said what up, I mean good afternoon Dr. Alphonse.

Angie said...

Am I even less than an acquaintance since you've asked me to address you only as "Most distinguished Lady Alphonse"???

Seriously though, I do the same thing. My family knows me as Ang or Angie and everyone at school and work know me as Angela.

Good luck with Preston and the bottle!

Bridgette's Odyssey said...

Dang Tera! I was just messing with you not giving you a new topic.

Unknown said...

You know when we first met I could not understand why your hubby kept calling you Tera, but NO ONE else did. I kept thinking I was using the wrong name or something. ;)

Chantare said...

well, you've always been Tera to me, Shawty!