Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Chinese Restaurant Lady

Okay, so as many of you may or may not know my son Trey's 2 year birthday is Friday. We are planning a party for him this weekend and I am attempting to prepare for it. So the party idea started out very small with thinking we would invite a few folks over for cake and dinner after church on Saturday along with my folks but now we're up to maybe 40-50 people. I am not sure how it happened but it is definitely my doing because my husband hasn't invited anyone.

But anyway, I am preparing a menu for the party and of course with 40 some folks I am not going to do just hot dogs and hamburgers. I am going to grill chicken, steam veggies etc. So I stopped at the Chinese restaurant today to inquire about a pan of fried rice. My thought is that buying some simple rice would save me a little time and work in the kitchen and the rice would serve as somewhat of a major dish.

Well this chick precedes to whip out a calculator to discuss prices with me. To give you a visual of how this situation went imagine the movie Diary of a Mad Black Woman by Tyler Perry. The scene in particular is the one where Madea is adding up all the money she feels Mr. Bad A$$ owes Kimberly Elise after all the years of marriage. So I was very clear in saying I wanted a pan (large pan) of fried rice with no meat, no eggs and no onions. She said "no problem, no problem." Well then how much is it going to be? She says 'well you know a pint of rice cost ~$2.00 and it only feeds about one person and a dinner serving of rice is ~$4.85(the aluminum rice they serve for dinner items) and only serves 2 people.' Yes sweetie I understand all of that but how much is a large pan of fried rice that will feed close to 30-40 people. This chick got real quiet and put on her reading glasses and went crazy on the calculator. She hit about 20 buttons in 10 seconds then hit the addition key 30 times and said "It's going to be $84.65." What the hell! All I want is rice lady not a box of chicken wings with egg rolls. I looked at this woman started laughing and said "are you serious?" She of course said yes and proceeded to explain to me that rice cost $80. I politely said no thank you I can buy a rice village for that price and walked toward the door. She yellled out for me to wait and asked if I would like to talk to the manager maybe he would give me a discount.

Later chinese lady!

4 comments:

Bridgette's Odyssey said...

Um, yeah, that's a bit outrageous. It's just rice with a little extra.

bklynq said...

First, I want to say it takes to many steps to post a comment on your blog. Second scrap all the work and do hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, and salad. You have covered the food groups.

Unknown said...

I agree with bklynq!!!!

I understand you are inviting adults, but it is still a kid's party. Cover the food groups and you'll be fine.

kknowles said...

i already told u how i felt about tht food situation. im just laughin bout the rice village for $84!!