Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cindy

My life has taken so many correct turns that I just can't imagine what it would be like if I took too many wrong turns. I am thankful to God for guiding me thus far but not all of us have been that fortunate. To the right is my homeless friend Cindy, at least that's what she told me her name is. She sits on the side of Interstate 285 every afternoon. She is extremely dirty, has one leg amputated, harsh leathery skin and reaps of alcohol. I feel so sad for Cindy because she truly seems like a great and kind person who has just lost her way. She is on drugs, drinks alcohol and on top of that she is homeless.

I often stop and ask Cindy if I can take her to get cleaned up and put on some fresh clothes but she always says no she just wants some money. I give her a couple of dollars, talk to her until the light turns red and continue on with my perfect life. But I can never really get her out of my head.

I know you can't save the world but we can start with one person at a time. I have promised myself that I am at least going to take her some fresh clothes for the winter along with a little toiletry bag so she can clean herself up whenever she gets sober enough but I know she will probably sell it for drugs or alcohol. I wonder what her real story is. She is someone's daughter, sister, friend, niece just like I am; so what went terribly wrong with her?

I know the picture is a little blurry but you can probably imagine what she looks like just based on her description. Count your blessings people and stay on the straight and narrow path. Personal accomplishments are also achieved when we help others, that's making a difference!

3 comments:

Bridgette's Odyssey said...

I always wonder about homeless people too. It's sad, really. My cousin was homeless for years in New Orleans. He was on drugs and stole from a lot of people in our family so no one trusted him to stay in their house. He also ran from Pensacola because he didn't want to pay child support which was about $10 a week. So, as sad as it is, some people choose that lifestyle rather than do the hard work of straightening their lives out.

Unknown said...

Great post! We should be grateful every day.

Dance411 said...

Now I know why you are my friend! I see her and while I do not stop I always pray for her! But I'm sure giving would be nice too!