Sunday, December 14, 2008

College kids

This weekend I realized how ridiculous I was in college. My adopted niece (who is over my shoulder screaming in my ear at this moment) is a piece of work! She is truly convinced that her issues are real issues. First of all, she has no job, no money, no car, and no hustle. She is a full time student and makes wonderful grades, yet she still has complaints about everything. "My thighs are not thick enough, my butt isn't ghetto enough, my hair isn't long enough, I don't have any money, I don't have a car" and yadda yadda yadda....... I remember when I too was a freshman at a HBCU I wanted so desperately to look like the upper classmen but that's not the deck of cards God dealt me. I had to use what I had to my best advantage. I too was a skinny, underdeveloped young lady in a sea of fine girls at 18 years old.

I do understand that the issues and pressures of society are REAL issues for her; its just funny to hear about it now that I am an adult and mother. I remember driving my parents crazy about needing more money, clothes, food and trust. They knew me well enough to know that it would all pass sooner or later but I wanted immediate acceptance and approval right then.

Nonetheless, she has talked my ear off for the last 72 hours about the SAME stuff! But I love her and I listened somewhat patiently and encouraged her to continue to make the right decisions. I guess this is a good lesson for me because my kids will be going through the same stuff in many years to come. Lord, I pray I can get through it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Same issues, different person. We all go through issues and then look back and say...it really wasn't that deep. Hindsight right?

Bridgette's Odyssey said...

Funny!

fashion jewelry said...

Congratulations. A very nice car. It is my dream to have this car. I am working hard for it. Now as online wholesaler of fashion jewelry,I hope i can make my dream to real next year. I am fashion jewelry online wholesaler directly from China. Welcome to inquiry.


fashion jewelry wholesale
wholesale fashion jewelry