Monday, March 9, 2009

Home

I really enjoyed myself back home in Jesup this weekend. My daddy turned 56 and we had a family cookout and surprised him with cake and icecream. I think Trey had the best time of all. He played for 7 hours straight with his little cousins. They are all around the same age and they get along really well, but how many toddlers don't like to play together. Anyway, they stayed up until midnight running around in the cold and dark backyard like little roaches (that wasn't nice more like mice). By the time I got him buckled into his carseat to drive back to my parents house he was snoring before we made it to the first stop sign.

It's always wonderful to go back to where you came from and reminisce about the past and growing up. But let me just jot down a little bit of foolishness I observed while I was there. Just to give you a mental picture of where I grew up; imagine a town of only 10,000 people, ten red lights, one Walmart (just built maybe 8 years ago), one fast food restaurant per chain, one high school and a railroad track that at least use to separate the black folks from the white folks.

Now let's rehash this weekend:

1) Driving into town there is a maybe 300 lb billy goat on the side of the highway grazing. No gate, no chains, no nothing)
2) A small filling station translation gas station for you city folks with a sign out front saying "Bait and Tackle, Box of Marlboro ($ can't remember how much) and Tanning Bed." Now what in the hell are they doing with a tanning bed in the gas station?
3) And lastly, why did every male cousin/uncle over 40 years old have no teeth at the top. I am so disappointed but couldn't stop laughing at these fools as they continued to get drunk. No one has dental insurance so when a tooth starts hurting they just snatch it out...WTHeck@@!!
4) Oh and the homemade grill that burns until the party ends to keep all the alcoholics warm outside because the ladies won't let them come inside the house....a mess!

But it was a good weekend and my dad was very happy to see us especially since I drove down with the kids by myself (4 hour trip) because Paul had to work. He didn't think I was going to come alone so he was pleasantly surprised. Preston did wonderul and Trey did pretty good. He just has ants in his pants and doesn't want to sit in that carseat for more than an hour. I was fortunate this time and only stopped once each way. It was so much going on in less than 24 hours that I forgot to take any pictures. But I probably wouldn't have posted any of my uncles because you fools would put them on an email and talk bad about my peoples.....LOL!

3 comments:

Bridgette's Odyssey said...

Why is your dad 10 years younger than my dad? Why did you have to say they were like little roaches? Although Pensacola is a lot bigger than Jesup, I can relate to a lot of what you wrote. I know what a filling station is and have some toothless folks in my family too. But, uh, we ain't got no 300 lb goats. This was funny.

Angie said...

You are so funny! Glad you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun. You went by yourself? Go on girl!!!!