Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Old School Player

So I was sitting in the back of the church with the kids last weekend somewhat enjoying the service. The back pews are allocated for parents with small children, basically a way to keep all the noise in the back of the church and cut down on folks getting up and down running to the potty or mother's room with their screaming kids. Well this older gentlemen well dressed in a double breasted suit with a vest and matching gators walked in late and was forced to sit on the back pew next to me and my kids. Of course you could tell he wasn't too happy about it because of all the kids and muffled talking but he had no choice. Well as we got further into the service Preston started to get really fussy because he was sleepy and didn't want to willingly fall asleep. Of course I was doing my best to keep him quiet and contained but he was still a little resistant. So the "old school player" next to me asked could he hold Preston for a minute and take him out to calm him (remember how the old ushers use to do it). I don't think he really gave me a chance to respond to his request because he had already grabbed for him and Preston was half way out of my arms so I just said okay very quietly. My girlfriend next to me just looked like where in the heck is he going with your baby? I had no clue and just watched the back door until they returned.

Well 3 minutes later they came back. Preston was quiet with no tears and Mr. Old School had a switch (small branch from a tree)in his hand. He handed Preston to me and then he put the switch in the compartment where the little wine glasses go for communion. My eyes were so big! He whispered to me that he took him out by the tree, got a switch and had a little talk with him about being quiet in church or his mommy would "tear his little legs up." Preston laid on my chest and went to sleep in 1 minute. I still don't know what to make of this story..............

5 comments:

bklynq said...

I can't believe you didn't follow "old school player" outside of the sanctuary to see what was going on. Considering you didn't know him. That is funny.

Anonymous said...

Well I do remember when it was ok to say something to other peoples kids and they would not talk back. I know a few people who would cuss you out if you call their child out, even during children story. ;0) Now for a complete stranger to take him out of your site is a bit much. But hey it worked didn't it. Thank God he was watching over your baby.

Jenise

Angie said...

That is one of the most amusing stories I have heard in a long time! I can totally picture your face throughout the whole ordeal!

Bridgette's Odyssey said...

Girl, I would have been right on old school's heels. He probably scared the mess out of poor Preston.

wholesale jewelry said...

The latest fashion jewelry items wholesale from Wonderful-jewelry.com. It will be your best online source for wholesale fashion jewelry. And it is owned directly by China Jewelry Manufacturer. Best wholesale prices and best customers' service.


fashion jewelry wholesale
wholesale fashion jewelry